Locksmith Leicester - FAQ's
- What does a locksmith do?Locksmiths are tradesmen that are trained to work with different types of locks both to open and fit them. Locksmiths often use different techniques to open, repair and fit locks to different types of doors and buildings.
- How long does it take a locksmith to open a door?In most cases it will take a locksmith around ten minutes to open a door, however the time frame can vary dependent on the type of lock some can be opened in around 7 seconds whereas other may take up to 45 minutes.
- How many locks should you use on your front door?: A minimum of one lock will be required to have adequate security measures on your external door, however any security professional will tell you that two locks are better than one. You can have a standard BS3621 lock fitted and use a deadbolt to work alongside it, this will vastly improve your overall security measures and you may even find your insurance provider offers you discounts on your premiums.
- What do burglars look for when targeting a property?Burglars look out for any properties that they can see has weak, old or damaged locks on windows or doors. If a burglar feels your lock can be either snapped or bypassed easily this will make your home an ideal target. Pet and garage doors also provide easy access to your home in a burglar’s eyes.
- Do alarms put off burglars?Yes, alarms are very effective at making burglars think twice before breaking into a property, however, it is important that you have other security measures such as high security locks as using an alarm on its own will not prevent a burglar breaking into your property.
- How long does it take to get door locks changed?The time it takes to change a door lock can vary, it is much dependent on the existing lock and type of door that you have. Replacing the lock can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Lock that are being fitted to a door without an existing lock can take longer.
- How much does a locksmith in Leicester Cost?On average your local locksmith in Leicester will charge around £65 per hour, some locksmiths may charge a slightly smaller fee for any subsequent hours, and the cost of the parts needed will usually be included in the quoted price.
- How can I secure my windows without installing window bars?There are a few things that you can add to a window to improve its overall security. Quality locks and restrictors work well, you can also install window cameras and alarms. Another good security measure is installing laminated glass, this allows only a one-way view so that the layout and position of valuables in your property can’t be viewed from the outside.
- Can a locksmith open a deadbolt?Although deadbolts are a quality lock and incredibly difficult to open when locked without the use of a key, any good locksmith will be able to gain entry to a deadbolt. This is because locksmiths have the skills, knowledge and correct tools to make this possible.
- Should I have the locks changed when I move home?Yes, it is always advised that whenever you move into a new property you have all of the external locks changed. This means that it is only you that has a copy of the key as you can never be sure of how many are still in circulation from previous owners.